Oldham Borough Council wanted to understand the current functionality of their taxi community with an EVolve fleet analysis, which was installed into 37 vehicles, with partners GMX Taxis, Startax Taxis, and individual drivers. However, we were only able to gather data from 31 of the 37 vehicles supplied due to operational reasons. Additionally, individual reports were provided in order to demonstrate the feasibility of converting to ultra-low emissions vehicles (ULEVs) for taxi drivers.
About Oldham Council
Oldham Council, part of the Greater Manchester area, may be included in the wider Transport for Greater Manchester commitment to install convenient charging solutions and infrastructure across the region. In order to best plan the installation of charging infrastructure EVolve heat-mapping was required in order to understand the operational picture of their taxi community, and to ensure best provision of electric vehicle (EV) technology solutions in the region’s future development plans.
John Garforth, Oldham Council Licensing Department, appreciates the learning opportunity this partnership has offered : “Oldham Council has been pleased to work with Electric Blue in order to understand our licensed fleet better and consider future plans in terms of electric vehicles. The data captured will be invaluable in helping to consider our options going forward and we are happy that many drivers engaged in the data gathering exercise.”
- Evidence the main routes and stopping points of the local taxi population, for future charging point requirements and locations.
- Prove the feasibility of converting to EVs for the individual drivers.
- Advise on any changes in practices or working methods as required by changing to EVs.
- Analyse and compare the running costs of existing vehicles with EVs.
- Provide bespoke assessments to individual drivers.
- Quantify the Air Quality improvements afforded by switching to EVs.
- Work openly and fairly with the taxi community.
Linda Qayoom, of GMX Taxis, is excited to be leading the way towards zero emissions: “GMX Taxis are thrilled to be working with Electric Blue alongside local partners. Our drivers have shown real enthusiasm for the project, and we are excited to be involved as front-runners of the transition to ultra-low emissions vehicles.”
Electric Blue worked alongside Oldham Council, GMX Taxis, Startax Taxis and individual drivers to install telematic devices into 37 vehicles. This number was sufficient to provide the level of evidence required.
Once installed, the devices were connected to the Electric Blue analysis software, which recorded the individualised routes, stops, and mileages during the course of the working days. To comply with legal regulations, all of the driver / vehicle information was anonymised, ensuring the specific details of individual vehicles was not shared anywhere, except with the individual themselves.
After installation, the drivers were only required to continue their normal daily routines, for the agreed analysis period.
Using DVLA data on the performance of each existing vehicle, Electric Blue were able to accurately assess the volume of emissions and the running costs of the existing vehicles. By comparing these results against an equivalent sized EV, we were able to show the following savings on both running costs and emissions, on moving the fleet to EVs. The assessment ran for 48 days from 12th October 2018 to 28th November 2018, with data collated from 32 days.
The following data was recorded for the 31 vehicles available in the assessment. Any individual reports are taken from the same driver throughout this case study.
Data recorded for one random high mileage vehicle (Reg: BF58 XXX):
- Average number of days / shifts analysed : 32
- Average driver efficiency rating : A
- Total mileage : 4570
- Average miles per trip : 11
- Average trips per day : 10
- Average daily mileage : 111
Data recorded for all vehicles:
- Average number of days/shifts analysed : 22
- Average driver efficiency rating : A
- Total mileage : 55,867
- Average miles per trip : 4
- Average trips per day : 24
- Average daily fleet mileage : 2,589
- Average daily vehicle mileage : 83.5
Estimated Running Cost Savings (Reg: BF58 XXX)
- Total savings during the test period for the 1 vehicle : £294.09
- Total savings during the test period for 31 vehicles : £3,961.99
- Annualised savings for the 1 vehicle : £1,936.69
- Annualised savings for 31 vehicles : £49,643.52
Estimated Emissions Savings
The feasibility data recorded in this assessment is under the assumption that the vehicles in question have the opportunity to be inactive for 6 hours daily. This would give the vehicle the opportunity to charge fully before the start of their shift (i.e charge overnight at home, depot or off street parking).
- A total of 415 separate trips were recorded for the individual driver. Of these, a total of 12 trips would have required a top-up charge.
- A total of 10,354 separate trips were recorded for all vehicles. Of these, a total of 108 trips would have required a top-up charge.
- A total of 28 stops were recorded for the individual driver, where the vehicle was inactive between 15 and 45 minutes, allowing for an 80% Rapid Charge top-up.
- A total of 878 stops were recorded for all vehicles where the vehicles were inactive between 15 and 45 minutes, allowing for an 80% Rapid Charge top-up.
The heat mapping provided evidence to accurately place charging points, to ensure usage with minimal disruption to the driver; whilst the data showed the projected usage requirements depending on the uptake of EVs. As below, the heat mapping shows a general view of convenient charging locations across the wider Manchester region, followed by a focused view of the Oldham locality. The more time spent by the drivers in each location results in a bigger circle.
Startax Taxis are positive about the future of the partnership, “We are proud to be addressing the serious issue of air pollution in our community, by working in partnership with Oldham Council. We are excited for the possibility of ULEV taxis, and for being a part of an environmentally-positive solution.”
This report has enabled Oldham Council to accurately forecast the total amount of emissions that could be saved, by transitioning the Licensed Taxi Fleet to EVs.
The heat map has accurately provided evidence of a number of sites that could potentially be used to install a Rapid Charger. These sites would give the local authority a choice as to the placement of the charger, ensuring maximum usage, with minimal disruption to the drivers during their working day.
The feasibility study showed there would be minimal disruption for the taxi drivers, on a day-to-day basis, to switch to an EV from their existing vehicles.
Taxi drivers that are already using an electric vehicle or hybrid have found that they spend a significant proportion of their time discussing the merits of ULEVs, as it is often the first time their customers have experienced the smooth, quiet efficiency of the electric power.
David Gee, Business Development Manager at Electric Blue praised the project:
“Electric Blue are proud to work in partnership with Oldham Council on their EVolve analysis. The information collated will assist in finding the best locations for the new rapid electric vehicle charging points that will be supplied by TfGM in 2019. We would like to thank Startax, GMX and the individual owner drivers who helped make this happen.”
Once the TfGM tender is awarded, Electric Blue hopes to continue our partnership with Oldham Council in order to develop their electric charger network. The local partners involved in this project have been essential, understanding that they play an important role in the improvement of air quality, and now act as ambassadors for the EV industry.
Raring to join the rEVolution?
Everyone’s journey to electric is unique, which is why our products and services are designed to complement each other in order to meet your clean air goals. If this case study has similarities to your needs, visit our Analysis page, where our EVolve service will prove the feasibility of EVs for your driving requirements.** **